If you’re unfamiliar with the VISIA Complexion Analysis system, it’s basically a cool imaging machine that captures eight different points of your skin’s overall health, including:
- Visible Spots (Skin irregularities that appear on the surface of the skin — freckles, scars, age spots or blemishes)
- Wrinkles (A result of the aging process and most common around the eyes and mouth)
- Texture (High and low points of the skin — blue points show skin indentations; yellow areas are raised points)
- Pores (Small openings dispersed throughout the skin)
- UV Spots (Sun damage and spots on the surface and in the deep layers of the skin)
- Brown Spots (Skin discolorations including localized hyper pigmentation, under eye shadowing and moles)
- Red Areas (Redness caused by broken capillaries, Rosacea, inflammation or the aftermath of breakouts)
- Porphyrins (Naturally occurring bacteria that can become lodged in pores and lead to breakouts)
After you give the skin care consultant your name and age (so you can be compared within your age percentile), you sit down and place your chin on a rest inside this little white bubble
— kind of like you do when you get your eyes checked, except you close your eyes in this case and have a picture taken on one side of your face.
The whole imaging process takes something like a minute, and then you get some cool pictures and results in each of these areas.
Your skin care consultant — usually a licensed aestheticism or cosmetologist — will go through the results with you.
She’ll make great product recommendations for you based on your scores for each of the eight points
(scores are based on your age, sex and skin type and are out of 100 — you want your scores as high as possible).